[mythtv-users] Intel Compute Stick as a frontend?

BP lists at qucae.com
Thu Aug 6 08:11:55 UTC 2015

On 08/04/2015 08:06 PM, Tom Harris wrote:

> These things seem to be generally available now..  Has anyone taken the
> plunge and set one up as a MythTV frontend?
>
> I'm wondering if this could displace my old Atom/Ion machine.   Does it
> have VAAPI support?  How does that compare with an Ion1 with VDPAU?

I have not bothered trying linux on mine yet, but from my experience,
these things are not yet ready for serious usage.  The concept is great
and when it does work, it works well.  Problem is, it rarely works.  I'm
hoping the next version polishes the rough edges.  I'm excited about the
concept for frontends in rooms that I care less about the best video
quality.

For instance, the wifi adapter in the compute sticks is near useless.
It will work ok (about 10mbs) for an hour or so, then becomes very, very
spotty.  There are lots of complaints out there about the wifi
performance.  After a few weeks, it started to refuse to boot with video
(including post screens).  I have to plug/unplug the power and hdmi as
well as turn the tv off and on while it boots.  It currently takes me
about 10 minutes to reboot the thing with a working display.  If you
never need to reboot and can run the extra wires to it for a powered USB
hub and a usb network adapter (I'm using ethernet), it can work.  But,
by the time you have the extra stuff plugged in, you might as well as
just bought one of the slightly larger mini computers out there that
just works.