[mythtv-users] Intel Compute Stick as a frontend?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 16:27:30 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 7:31 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie <
stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote:

> On 05/08/15 13:25, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
> > As Paul mentioned, this should work. However, this is at the expense of
> > reduce deinterlaced video quality. Some people see the difference, and
> > some do not. It was very noticeable in my side-by-side test. I opted for
> > a used ION2 on eBay.
> >

> Given that we have not yet implemented deinterlacing with the VAAPI
> interface, i'm not surprised about this.
>
> I'm curious about this.  When I first tried out my ECS Liva, I got it to
net-boot like my ION boxes, then I set the playback profile to VAAPI, and
was shocked by the horrible deinterlacing.  After further investigation, I
realized that the net-boot root didn't have VAAPI installed, so I was
falling back to the "Normal" profile.  Deinterlacing looked just fine
(i.e., enormously better than before) with a working VAAPI profile, so it
seemed clear that VAAPI is doing at least something for deinterlacing.

BTW, I was almost as shocked that the Normal profile's software decoding
and rendering on the Liva was basically smooth for HD-PVR recordings.

Jim