[mythtv-users] accessing 2 BE's from one FE questions

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Sun Apr 19 23:49:30 UTC 2015

I've still got my old MythTV system running alongside my new one. I
thought the new one might be ready to replace the old one a few weeks ago,
but, incredibly, I'm still trying to get the new one fully operational. So
I can't take the old out of service yet and am continuing with my testing
of the new. Both systems are BE/FE combinations, btw, and both are on the
same subnet on my LAN.

Since both systems are recording, I currently need to switch between the
two to watch recorded programming and execute other tasks. It's not a
whole lot of trouble to switch screen/monitor and sound inputs when I want
to use one or other of the systems. But it strikes me that I might be able
to obviate that and switch over more fully to the new system if I could
cause it to hook, not only to its own backend, but to the old system's
backend, as well.

I've done some preliminary research and discovered the possibility of
setting up a slave backend, which I'm guessing would be applicable to my
situation. As I understand it, I'd be needing to reconfigure the old
MythTV as the slave backend, and the new machine as the master backend.
While I think I could manage the reconfiguration aspect of this, I'm
wondering, since the old machine is slated imminently to be taken out of
service, whether it will be worthwhile?

At this stage I am uncertain how much reconfiguration and
un-reconfiguration I'd end up doing. Can anyone who has such a system set
up comment on how easy or difficult this configuration is? Any opinions on
whether, since one of these machines is due to be decommissioned soon, it
will be worth my while to set this up?