[mythtv-users] Commercial Detection

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Apr 17 13:31:05 UTC 2015

On 04/17/2015 09:14 AM, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 4/17/15 8:59 AM, Gerald Brandt wrote:
>> How good is commercial detection in .27 fixes?  I'm thinking of
>> automatically skipping commercials (currently, I manually fast
>> forward).  Are there any special setting I need to look out for?
> Turn it on and see?   The commercials are still there in the recording,
> so there's no risk.   It works quite well for me.

Really, though, you're probably better off--whether the detection is
great or terrible--manually skipping the break with the SKIPCOMMERCIAL
(by default, Z or End) key and then if it says something completely
wrong, like, "Skipped 16:14", using SKIPCOMMBACK (by default, Q or Home)
to go back to where you were when you first skipped.  This coupled with
your skip and jump keys allows you to find the end of the break much
faster than using fast forward.  Or, if detection is very bad--such that
you would almost always need to use SKIPCOMMBACK--just use your skip and
jump keys rather than fast forward.  I have my jump set to 3min and my
skip forward to 30s with skip back at 15s, so I can generally skip any
commercial break with jump forward + one to three skip forwards and one
skip back (just to get to right before the break ended).

For me commercial detection is very good (much greater than 90% on most
shows on most networks, I'd say), but I still use, "Notify, but do not
skip" rather than, "Automatically Skip".  IMHO, "Automatically Skip"
actually makes following the show more difficult--especially if
commercial detection is good--because the show tends to wind down before
the break, then wind back up after the break, and if you don't know
there was supposed to be a break there, it feels wrong.  Even when I cut
commercials (and even on the well-done commercial-free sources, like DVD
and BluRay), I leave a few blank frames between the 2 parts to help with
the flow.

Mike