[mythtv-users] MythTV Player 1.1.5 available to all on Google Play Store

Daniel Frey dmfrey at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 02:37:28 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 10:15 PM dennis <deg at outlook.com> wrote:

> I have been playing around with this app, and it seems to require alot
> of backend resources and creates many .ts files in the streaming
> directory on the backend, when it does work.   I assumed that these
> would be deleted after a day or so, similar to live tv files, but that
> doesn't seem to be the case.
>
> So when using mythtranscode to steam files,  do the ts files will remain
> in the 'streaming' directory forever? Even if the original file is
> deleted?  Do I need to set up a cron script to delete the files and
> clean up the database?
>
> I normally use the mythweb interface and stream as an asx file ( which
> launches VLC) on my phone or tablet.  This seems to work very well
> without the need for an additional app on my phone.  If the file is
> still a mpg2 file, ( I convert everything newly recorded to mp4 nightly
> )  I just use the flowplayer in mythweb to stream within the browser.
> In either case I don't have tons of files created on my backend, and
> barely notice the extra load on the backend.
>
> It seems the app has several drawbacks ( all related to mythtrancode )
> and no advantages over what I can already do via mythtweb.   Am I
> missing something here?
>

> On 04/14/2015 12:32 PM, George Nassas wrote:
> >> On Apr 14, 2015, at 10:34 AM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>   I dislike using it is that it automatically places the files
> >> in the directory structure of the user that runs the backend. Most
> >> likely:
> >>
> >>      ~mythtv/.mythtv/tmp/hls/
> >>
> >> That's fine if you've got lots of space,
> > There's always the option of making that last /hls/ into a soft link to
> a directory on one of your storage drives. That would work but creating a
> real storage group is the right way.
> >
> >> but we've heard of folks that
> >> created a lot of live streams and filled up their filesystem, which
> could
> >> even have been on their / filesystem. There is no auto expire system
> >> built in to trim this down.
> > I think Chris Pinkham intended that as a second round enhancement but
> seems to have drifted off. Maybe mentioning his name will summon the
> presence.
> >
> > - George

Dennis,
The app is to provide a native interface on a phone or tablet.  You are
correct that mythtranscode creates a lot of files. Currently, mythtv does
not delete them if you delete an episode, however, I believe the devs are
working on cleaning them up once the recording is deleted.

I am really trying to make the experience seamless. Unfortunately, Android
doesn't natively support mpg2 so we need to rely on either the HLS
transcode, or throwing the file to an external player, like VLC or MX
Player.

For now, you are going to have to manually clean up those files until the
backend work is complete that will clean them up.

Dan