[mythtv-users] What triggers a refresh when using video "Browse Filesystem" mode?

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 19:03:52 UTC 2015

Hoi Tom,

> I've never had a need to use any video metadata at all.  There's
> generally not much of anything that I keep there long term.  I have
> mine set for what I think is now referred to as Browse Filesystem mode
> (no database metadata).

> This one's been confusing me forever.  When files are added to an
> already browsed directory, *what* on earth triggers a refresh?  The
> behavior of that for me has been impossible to figure out:

> It seems as though, if I escape back all the way back to the main menu
> and until you get the option menu to restart / shutdown etc, and then
> cancel that...*sometime* this causes new files to appear when I go
> back into the video menu.  However sometimes this only seems to work
> if I back into and escape out of that reboot menu *multiple* times.
> Seemingly random almost.

> Can anyone clarify when that occurs, and more importantly how to force it?

> Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall, any menu options for
> refreshing *do* in fact pull metadata into the database...unless
> that's somehow changed.

> Thanks!
> Tom

As far as my experience files appear as soon as they are in one of the
directories you have added to the video group. To get metadata you
select 'scan changes' or something like that in the menu (m). This can
take several minutes, while making the frontend slow to react. If more
possibilities are found on tmdb or tvdb you'll get eventually a pop-up

On individual files you can press i and select 'change video details'
and then edit, retrieve, reset details or alow updates

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop