[mythtv-users] alt lightweight web servers for MythTV?

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Wed Apr 8 18:45:29 UTC 2015

On Apr 8, 2015, at 1:57 PM, James Miller <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org> wrote:

> the one point I find most confusing is also the one that is flagged as being insufficiently documented--namely, the Perl backend. I don't know any Perl, my only experience with it to date being some attempts at modifying a simple script, so I really am clueless as to what the referenced backend might be
…
> I suppose, were I to go with this nginx solution, I'd need to recompile MythTV with Perl support?

Where are you seeing this Perl reference? The myth backend is written in C++ and MythWeb is written in PHP. MythWeb interacts with the database using sql and with the myth backend through its custom protocol - the same as myth’s bundled executables. To get mythweb going you need a PHP5 interpreter plus some php modules like mysql and a way for connect the interpreter to your webserver but no changes to mythtv itself. MythTV does have optional PHP bindings but MythWeb was written before they became available so, as far as I know, it doesn’t use them.

- George