[mythtv-users] alt lightweight web servers for MythTV?⎈

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Wed Apr 8 12:11:25 UTC 2015

On Apr 8, 2015, at 12:06 AM, James Miller <gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org> wrote:

> And, finally, what are some other lightweight web servers I might consider?

All the cool kids are running nginx nowadays (nginx.org/en <http://nginx.org/en> and mythtv.org/wiki/MythWeb_on_Nginx <http://mythtv.org/wiki/MythWeb_on_Nginx>), it’s noticeably lighter - I used to use apache on my laptop and it was OK but when I switched to nginx it was like it knew what I wanted before I asked for it. The comparison at http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Web_Server_Performance_Comparison matches my experience, particularly the memory usage graph.

One conceptual difference is apache pulls in php as part of its process while nginx expects it to be running as a separate daemon (use php-fpm) and it forwards php requests to it. It’s not so hard to understand, I just wasn’t aware when I switched, so you have to make sure nginx is forwarding to the port that php-fpm is listening on and so forth. No big deal.

- George