[mythtv-users] Issue with accents in titles and descriptions: Myth or Schedules Direct?

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Tue Apr 7 18:01:30 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi Karl,
>
> Tuesday, April 7, 2015, 7:09:07 PM, you wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 9:53 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> Hoi Michael,

> understand
> ;(
> in

> parts
> so

> they
> any
> >>
> >> It seems you're right. I did a qt upgrade last week (4.8.5 to 4.8.6)
> >> and it now sings a different tune. It's no longer talking about
> >> us_NL.UTF-8 but about nl_NL.utf8 and that's a first. I before tried
> >> changing the string without effect? I'll try again.
> >>

> > Hika,
>
> > Check `eselect locale` on Gentoo. Pick the one with "UTF-8". That may be
> > all you need.
>
> > Karl
>
> Thanks, I know, but even though I set it right in /etc/locale.gen
> locale-gen changes the strings.
> I have
> en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
> nl_NL.UTF-8 UTF-8
> and some others in there, but eselect only offers em_US.utf8 and
> nl_NL.utf8 (and those others for iso8859)
>
> I do seem to recall fighting with this a bit, but eselect locale offers
en_US.UTF-8 on my system. Here's my /etc/locale.gen:

# /etc/locale.gen: list all of the locales you want to have on your system
#
# The format of each line:
# <locale> <charmap>
#
# Where <locale> is a locale located in /usr/share/i18n/locales/ and
# where <charmap> is a charmap located in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/.
#
# All blank lines and lines starting with # are ignored.
#
# For the default list of supported combinations, see the file:
# /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED
#
# Whenever glibc is emerged, the locales listed here will be automatically
# rebuilt for you.  After updating this file, you can simply run
`locale-gen`
# yourself instead of re-emerging glibc.

en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
#ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP
#ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8