[mythtv-users] Mysql 5.5 to 5.6 upgrade on Gentoo

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Fri Apr 3 14:11:20 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 9:26 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> I ran into an odd one with my last run of updates under Gentoo.  This
> update included an update of MySQL from 5.5.40 to 5.6.22.
>
> The first issue I ran into was that the MySQL update didn't trigger a
> rebuild of php 5.3, either from emerge @preserved-rebuild or
> revdep-rebuild.  This causes "Headers and client library minor version
> mismatch" errors in php.

None of the versions of php have a subslot dep on mysql, so portage
will not auto-rebuild php when mysql changes.

If this is wrong, I'd suggest filing a bug.  I don't think I've seen
this error, but I'm not a php expert.

> Even more strange is that the MySQL update triggered a rebuild of
> MythTV (which usually isn't needed)

That is because mythtv does have a subslot dep on mysql.

I just checked and indeed it doesn't look like anything in mythtv is
directly linked to anything provided by mysql.  I'll go ahead and
remove that dependency in the next revision so that in the future
mythtv is not auto-rebuilt when mysql changes.

> but did NOT trigger a rebuild of
> dev-qt/qtsql using either @preserved-rebuild or revdep-rebuild , which
> based on everything I've ever heard, including this thread:

The stable version of qtsql does not have a subslot dep on mysql, so
it will not be auto-rebuilt.  The most recent unstable version of
qtsql does have a subslot dep, so whenever that gets stabilized you'll
get auto-rebuilds.  There are a bunch of other issues with the current
stable version of qt such as it not playing nicely with qt5 so there
is already some interest in getting them fixed.  I can't promise when
this will happen though - check the gentoo lists (there was some
discussion in the multilib threads).

Now mythtv does have a qtsql subslot dep, so if the version of qtsql
changes (and if it uses subslots, which the current stable version
does not), then mythtv will get auto-rebuilt.  I don't think this is
triggered if qtsql is rebuilt without changing version, since the
expectation is that this shouldn't change the ABI.

--
Rich