[mythtv-users] Shellshock discussion

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 17:20:15 UTC 2014

Hoi Gary,

> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You at least have to log off all existing shells for it to take full
>> effect.

> No, you do not.  Not for this one.  Just looking
> at the patch will tell you that, or, if you wish,
> read the more reputable reports.  Here is one
> from a major enterprise linux vendor:

>   https://access.redhat.com/articles/1200223

> (read towards the bottom where it says "Do I need
> to reboot services".  The only exception to the
> reboot is if you are already compromised, in which
> case you may actually need to re-install, depending
> on how the exploit persistantized itself).

> Note that I assert you have (likely) actually proved my
> point.  You have (likely) already expended more effort
> than just applying the patch on almost all distributions
> (if you compile the entire gnu userland from source,
> I accept it may take a bit longer to complete).

Actually I emerged (and thus compiled) the patch on both servers I
maintain. That doesn't mean I will not further investigate! Like
reading that some webservers might be afflicted.
Also before applying anything to a server, you have to know if there
are any potential problems to arise. You might not be able to reboot
for instance without affecting users.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven