[mythtv-users] Replace backend 3.5 system disk with 2 2.5 raid1?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Sep 26 14:13:36 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 11:07:19PM +0100, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 25/09/14 19:41, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> >
> (snip)
> >
> >Note that another option may be a SSD for your system
> >drive.  Even SSDs fail (so backups and a recovery plan
> >are always necessary), but they do not have the usual
> >failure modes of spinning rust, and smaller SSDs with
> >power failure protection are getting reasonably cheap.
> >
> (snip)
> >
> Every time I hear this "spinning rust" meme I have to grit my teeth.
>
> While it is technically true that the active layer on a hard drive
> platter is an oxide of iron, it very definitely isn't rust.
>
> Anyone who has taken an old drive apart will know that the disks
> themselves are the smoothest, shiniest pieces of metal you are ever
> likely to come across - and definitely not rusty.

    I have two brands of SSD currently (Crucial and Intel) running in
my systems. The Crucial one provides incomplete and not terribly useful
SMART information and the Intel one doesn't provide any at all.

    I have a Samsung one lying around now waiting to be used, I will
have to see what if anything that provides.

    I love how my spinning rust warns when it's about to die. I also
enjoy ripping them apart and seeing all the shiny bits inside. '-)