[mythtv-users] nvidia card for 4k display

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Sep 15 16:00:15 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 9:12 AM, Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> I just came back from IBC the broadcast trade show which is wall to wall UHD TV.
>
> And I presume, that this time, the vendors hope the technology will
> take off (unlike 3D), to maximize their profits.  When viewing a few
> centimeters from the screen, I can tell the difference between a
> nominal ~2K and a ~4K picture  At normal sitting distance, not so
> much.  I suspect I will not be purchasing a 4K TV just because
> I could any time soon.
>
> On the other hand, I want a (reasonably priced) 4K monitor for
> programming (there are good references on the 'net regarding
> how it improves productivity).  But since (reasonably priced,
> by my definition of reasonable) 4K desktop monitors with a
> S-IPS screen do not (yet) exist, I am going to be waiting for
> a bit before even worrying about the card to drive such a
> monitor with.

NewEgg had this one on sale, very briefly, for $299 after rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX1CA4251

I was sorely tempted, but a bit too slow.  They sold out rather
quickly at that price.

That one only goes to 30Hz at 4K, but for programming, 30Hz is enough.
I don't know if it's S-IPS or not.

Eric