[mythtv-users] CPU for dedicated backend

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Sep 12 15:14:07 UTC 2014

> the
> and

> with
> disruptive

> with it

> next to
> > > it... just combine them.
> > >
> > > While his machine should be powerful enough to do both I don't like
> > > them to be in the same machine.
> >

> > I respect your opinion, and while we all wish we had unlimited resources
> > where we could dedicate a computer to single purpose, you must admit it
> is
> > a bit wasteful.
>
>      If you aren't worrying about supporting any backend features, you can
> easily get suitable low profile machines with a proper graphics card for
> cheap.
>
>      If you aren't worrying about the machine being small or quiet or even
> having a decent video card, you can get some really good deals on hardware.
>
>      Combining the two complicates both and can escalate prices
> dramatically.

>      THAT is potentially quite wasteful.

I honestly don't know why I am continuing this back and forth.

I have already agreed that an ideal solution would place the backed out of
sight where noise doesn't matter.  But many of us don't have that luxury.

For example, under my desk sits two mid tower computers... one is my
primary workstation (I work from home so I sit at this for 8 hours every
day), the other is my backed server.  My workstation is easily the louder
of the two, being a COTS HP midtower, while my backend is custom built with
6x120mm fans at 5v (so they are silent from 2ft away) and 5 hdd's mounted
in rubber grommets in this case:
http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/arc-series/arc-midi-r2-solid-side-panel
.

By your logic I should place a 3rd, pretty and silent frontend system next
to the other two if I want to watch TV in my office...  seems silly to
me... adding another computer isnt gonna make the other two quieter or
prettier.

And I don't understand how combining them complicates either one... if
anything it simplifies things since I have one fewer system to maintain.
 This idea that the frontend application is somehow going to crash so
spectacularly that it will interrupt recordings or require a reboot just
doesn't hold water... going all the way back to 0.11 (circa 2003ish) when I
first started with mythtv on a combined system I cannot recall it ever
happening to me (just search for "thefrys" in the username on gossamer..
I'm sure I would have posted about it if it had happened).