[mythtv-users] CPU for dedicated backend

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Sep 12 15:19:05 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 10:12 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 10:50:44PM -0400, Joseph Fry wrote:
>> > Hoi Joseph,

>> > it... just combine them.
>> >
>> > While his machine should be powerful enough to do both I don't like
>> > them to be in the same machine.
>>

>> I respect your opinion, and while we all wish we had unlimited resources
>> where we could dedicate a computer to single purpose, you must admit it is
>> a bit wasteful.
>
>      If you aren't worrying about supporting any backend features, you can
> easily get suitable low profile machines with a proper graphics card for
> cheap.
>
>      If you aren't worrying about the machine being small or quiet or even
> having a decent video card, you can get some really good deals on hardware.
>
>      Combining the two complicates both and can escalate prices dramatically.

I'm having a very hard time imagining a case where a combined FE/BE
system is more expensive/complicated than a dedicated FE and a
dedicated BE purchased separately, even if the cost of the combined
FE/BE machine is higher than either the FE or BE alone.

It's hard to put together a decent FE system for under $200, where
it's easy to upgrade a BE to a quiet FE/BE for less than that.  I have
a Corsair water cooler block on mine (~$50) and I replaced the single
fan it came with with two new ones ($9 each) in a low speed push-pull
configuration.  The machine is quiet enough for the living room
without being noticeable,  despite the 8-core cpu in the box.

Eric