[mythtv-users] CPU for dedicated backend

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 16:34:05 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I want to change my backend machine, I actually have "HP ProLiant
MicroServer" with a "AMD Turion II Neo N40L Dual-Core Processor".

It host lots of services on it:

 - mythbackend
 - some apache sites
 - p2p downloads
 - home NFS shares
 - owncloud

I want to change the mythbackend to a dedicated server. I have 4 DVB
devices (1 PCIe and 3 USB). I have two choices:

 - Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q9300
 - Intel Pentium Processor G2120

Which one could you choose? Why?

I will use the other CPU for a desktop PC.

I am afraid about the electrical consumption, could I step down the
CPU speed when I am not using it?

This is a big upgrade to my mythtv system, so I want to be sure about
the change.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards.

--