[mythtv-users] mythtv dropping mysql???

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Oct 19 16:52:32 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-10-19 at 10:43 +0100, Paul Harrison wrote:

> I'm not directing this at you in particular this just happens to be a
> typical example.

Indeed.  And my comments are more on the general side of things, so not
directed back at you or your comments in particular.

> i think some people are reading into what devs say and assuming
> the worse. Has any dev said any of this will be impossible?

I think you are reading too much into my comments.  I'm not assuming it
won't be possible.  Indeed, at the end of my posting I am conceding that
there is no technical nor reasonable policy-related to not allow
continued read access to the raw data.

> OK you
> might have to do it through the services API and not use mysql
> directly but there is no reason that can't be done.

Indeed.  But what is important here is access to the full raw data.  Not
just being able to make queries of pre-written/canned searches.

> I don't think users understand what impact all this negativity has
> on a project that is struggling to keep a float :(

I am sorry if you took my comments as negative.  I really didn't intend
them to be negative but just more in support of the continued ability to
query the raw data.  Ultimately, users desires won't be met if users
don't tell their user-stories.  That's all I was doing.

Cheers.
b.