[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct JSON service on the back burner?

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Wed Oct 15 18:16:42 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
> I have noticed that almost all of the discussion on this list has related to
> the RobertE's XMLTV adaptation to SD's new JSON service... which seems like
> more of a workaround than anything.
>
> Is anyone actually using the JSON service, is there any effort to move
> things in that direction?  It really does seem like the better solution,
> though I suspect that we will ultimately need database changes, and perhaps
> some changes to mythtv-setup (or whatever is to replace it) to manage our
> lineups.
>
> While I suspect that I will have to use the XML solution come Nov 1st, I
> fear it's simply because adjusting things to support the JSON data isn't
> getting the attention it deserves.  I know RobertK has a script for the JSON
> service, but haven't seen any real discussion from folks testing it... thus
> I am not sure I will be comfortable going that route come Nov1.

Moving to the JSON service has a few challenges.

1) It requires a JSON grabber. Now IIRC Robert does have a JSON
grabber, but I believe that the idea is to move to using the JSON
service via XMLTV (so there is a single codebase for updating guide
data in MythTV). This requires more work.

2) Using the JSON service (and thus the JSON grabber) requires more
user interaction than using the XML DD replacement service. Most agree
that while the JSON grabber is preferred, it's not ideal to require
the user to do the amount of work required for the JSON change during
a minor upgrade (a more natural time for this change would be the
upgrade from 0.27 to 0.28). IIRC, we cannot do a zero impact upgrade
for a user and move them to the JSON service, it will require that
they setup the new grabber.

--
Thanks,

Thomas Mashos