[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct DataDirect replacement service testing

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 16:52:35 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> ....  For anyone already compiling from source, I'd
> say this approach is arguably easier than installing bind etc.

Arguably correct for future support, if one does not
also want to utilize the other features that RPZ can
offer.  In my case, RPZ was already in place for
blocking and/or redirecting other traffic (can be
used to block ads, spam, malicious sites, policy
restrict sites, etc.)  But I would agree that adding
in yet another service that one is not planning to
use otherwise is rarely a good idea (the KISS principal),
especially if one is already compiling from source
(whether installing bind/RPZ or creating a build
environment is less work, if one has neither, is
harder to say).

Note that the patch has been applied to master,
and seems likely to make it to fixes, so distros
are more likely than not to (eventually) pick it
up.  Of course, for those that are running old,
no longer supported versions, they may be
forced to choose how to move forward.