[mythtv-users] SchedulesDirect Changes

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Fri Oct 10 21:46:18 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 2:13 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 3:46 PM, David A. De Graaf <dad at datix.us> wrote:
>> The notion of packaging a list of receivable broadcast stations
>> based on my postal ZIP code is fundamentally wrong.
>
> The lists aren't receivable stations, but conceivably possible
> receivable stations.
>
>> Prepackaged lineups based on user location are fine for packaged
>> distributions like cable or satellite.  A different, more flexible
>> system is required for broadcast TV.
>
> The cable lineups list every channel carried by that carrier.  If I as
> a user don't subscribe to that channel, I won't receive it, but it's
> still in the lineup.  I just turn it off.
>
> Likewise, if there's a tree or mountain in between your antenna and
> the transmitter, then you can't receive that channel either.  Turn it
> off.
>
> I don't see how the broadcast situation is unique in this respect.
>
> Eric

It would seem to me that is unfortunately factually incorrect. The
lists are not complete as they don't list every broadcast station you
could conceivably receive from a particular location. For example,

When I punch my zipcode into schedules direct, I get listings for
Portland Oregon (1 hour north of me). Now if I have comcast this is
correct. If I have an OTA antenna, this could be correct, but it's
also possible that I receive some OTA stations from Eugene Oregon (1
hour south of me). In order to get compete listings, I have to have a
second ZIP in SD for the eugene listings. There is nothing I can
select that will give me all of the data in a single lineup.

--
Thanks,

Thomas Mashos