[mythtv-users] How to Prevent Freeze When Starting Playback

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Oct 6 15:13:16 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 10:02 AM, Tom Wheeler <tomwheel at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running 0.27, and all of my storage is locally mounted SATA disks on the
> backend. No NFS or even external USB disks.
>
> I do have a fair number of programs recorded, but in the hundreds rather
> than thousands. I wouldn't think that would be enough to stress MySQL at
> all, but I haven't looked at the database tuning parameters. I'm pretty
> experienced with MySQL, so I will check those tonight.
>
> I also haven't seen anything definitive in the logs, though since it's an
> intermittent problem, it's kind of hard to correlate the timestamps with
> when the problem occurs. I'll take a laptop with me when I watch TV tonight
> so I can ssh into the backend and frontend and look at the logs in real time
> while starting playback.

If you have power saving turned on for some of your disks, they may
have spun down.  If a disk is in a spun down state, it can take
several seconds to spin up the disk before it can start reading data
from the drive.  If this is the cause, it will generally appear to be
intermittent (the particular recording being selected must be on a
disk which hasn't been used since the spin down timeout expired) and
you won't see anything in the log.

See also:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/39760/how-can-i-control-hdd-spin-down-time

Eric