[mythtv-users] mceusb remote on USB3

Alistair Grant akgrant0710 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 00:13:13 UTC 2014

Hi Robin,

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:

>> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
>>> I saw a thread a couple of weeks back about using an mceusb remote and
>>> it
>>> not transferring data correctly on a USB3 port.
>>>
>>> My x-26y dual core celeron based box has the same problem but the bios
>>> is
>>> very different so I've no idea what to look for to set the usb ports
>>> into
>>> usb2 mode.
>>>
>>> I have a work-around at the moment as there are a couple of usb2 ports
>>> brought out of the side of the box so I have the remote working but it
>>> would be nice to tidy up the cables and have all connections at the
>>> back!!
>>>
>>> All ideas gratefully received :)
>>
>> I think that was my thread: "MCE remote doesn't work after hardware
>> upgrade".
>>
>> The setting on my Asus motherboard is "Intel xHCI Mode" (clear the
>> check box to disable it).  Hopefully it will be similar enough to
>> figure out.  Maybe read the wikipedia pages on USB3 and xHCI to see
>> some of the other terms related to the drivers and interface.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Alistair
>>

> More google foo and I have the correct answer :)
>
> I followed the instructions for updating the mceusb kernel driver at
>   http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2203116
> but rather than installing the 3.14.1 kernel I went for the 3.14.10 kernel
> as detailed in
>   http://www.sysads.co.uk/2014/07/install-linux-kernel-3-14-10-lts-ubuntu-14-04-lts/
>
> My mceusb remote is now quite happy running from the usb3 ports on the
> back of the box (no unsightly cables sticking out the side anymore!!).
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Robin Gilks

Thanks very much for posting this.  It appears to me that there are a
couple of possible drawbacks to this approach:

1.  The 3.14.x kernel doesn't appear to be part of the main Ubuntu
kernel series, from looking at:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack.  This means that it
won't have had as much testing as the main line kernels.

2.  Since the kernel is installed from a .deb package, you'll need to
manually track and install fixes (as opposed to a ppa, which will
automatically update).

Since Ubuntu 14.10 is out soon, presumably there will be a Kernel
Enablement Stack for the 14.10 kernel, i.e. 3.16.  I assume that the
fix will be carried forward, so waiting for the KES would mean that we
get a better tested kernel (for Ubuntu) and automatic updates.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Alistair