[mythtv-users] mceusb remote on USB3

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Sat Oct 4 23:26:54 UTC 2014

> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
>> I saw a thread a couple of weeks back about using an mceusb remote and
>> it
>> not transferring data correctly on a USB3 port.
>>
>> My x-26y dual core celeron based box has the same problem but the bios
>> is
>> very different so I've no idea what to look for to set the usb ports
>> into
>> usb2 mode.
>>
>> I have a work-around at the moment as there are a couple of usb2 ports
>> brought out of the side of the box so I have the remote working but it
>> would be nice to tidy up the cables and have all connections at the
>> back!!
>>
>> All ideas gratefully received :)
>
> I think that was my thread: "MCE remote doesn't work after hardware
> upgrade".
>
> The setting on my Asus motherboard is "Intel xHCI Mode" (clear the
> check box to disable it).  Hopefully it will be similar enough to
> figure out.  Maybe read the wikipedia pages on USB3 and xHCI to see
> some of the other terms related to the drivers and interface.
>
> HTH,
> Alistair

More google foo and I have the correct answer :)

I followed the instructions for updating the mceusb kernel driver at
but rather than installing the 3.14.1 kernel I went for the 3.14.10 kernel
as detailed in
  http://www.sysads.co.uk/2014/07/install-linux-kernel-3-14-10-lts-ubuntu-14-04-lts/

My mceusb remote is now quite happy running from the usb3 ports on the
back of the box (no unsightly cables sticking out the side anymore!!).

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks