[mythtv-users] Screen Goes Blank on Standby, Then Never Wakes Up

Ken Truesdale kentruesdale at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 17:30:36 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of faginbagin
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 1:12 AM
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Screen Goes Blank on Standby, Then Never Wakes
Up

Anyone who has hit this problem might want to log into launchpad.net and say
the following bug affects them:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/xfce4-settings/+bug/1308105
If enough people do that, maybe we'll get a fix before 16.04 is released.
issue with my Frontend... which turned out to be the issue mentioned in this
thread.  Shows you that my priorities were backwards!  Could have saved
myself a few hours...

But I do have something to contribute, based on my independent research (AKA
flailing about Google).  Disabling the xfsettingsd did fix the problem but I
wasn't happy with the result where lots of my other formerly nice-looking
Mythbuntu desktop got ugly - presumably I was seeing the results of not
having the xfsettingsd function working.  So instead, I went with the fix
mentioned in post #26 of that link above.  That works perfectly and doesn't
seem to have any side effects.  You just need to have an xorg.conf file set
up (and put it back in place whenever there's a kernel upgrade) to work with
your NVidia card.

Also, regarding your blue screen, my Yamaha receiver likes to put up what it
calls "wallpaper" when it doesn't have an HDMI signal to send out (a picture
of the inside of a piano).  I suspect that your Onkyo is what is generating
the blue screen.  If you do an onscreen menu from your receiver, does it
show up over the blue screen?  If so, you know where the signal is coming
from.  If not, then it could be that your TV is generating the blue screen
when your Onkyo doesn't have any signal to send to it.

Ken.