[mythtv-users] Troubleshooting Airplay

Max Barry mythtv at maxbarry.com
Sat Nov 29 22:51:36 UTC 2014

On Nov 28, 2014, 8:14 PM, jyavenard at gmail wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 28 November 2014 at 17:38, Max Barry <mythtv [at] maxbarry> wrote:
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I'm struggling to get AirPlay working on MythTV v0.27.4-19-g65d92fd with
>> multiple iDevices running iOS 7 and 8:
>>
>> - They can see and select "[TV icon] MythTV on [host]", but:
>>
>> - After selecting MythTV and attempting to play on an iDevice, nothing
>> happens for a few seconds, then the play/pause button reverts. Sometimes
>> it pops up a dialog box saying: "The operation could not be completed."
>>
>> Now the tricky part is MythTV is completely silent. I start
>> "mythfrontend --loglevel debug -v audio,playback" and it displays a lot
>> of stuff, including "RAOP Device: Listening for connections on port
>> 5000" and "AirPlay: Created airplay objects", but when I try to AirPlay
>> to it... nothing.
>>
>> I got suspicious that something was blocking the connection to the
>> machine, but tcpdump shows the traffic...it's just that MythTV doesn't
>> seem to do anything with it.
>
> As it is today, only AirPlay Audio and Photo Sharing works well and reliably.
>
> With iOS 8, Apple has changed things to make it close to impossible to
> have reliable video working

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I did notice that, but that's not my problem,
since:

a) iOS7 devices don't work either

b) Audio doesn't work

I can see the MythTV box receiving traffic on ports 5000 and 5010 but
since mythfrontend isn't doing anything, or logging anything, I'm
stumped as to how to diagnose further.

Max.