[mythtv-users] Cablecard spec change undermining CCI Copy Freely flags

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 17:35:56 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 1:41 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> If what I'm reading there is accurate, it would seem CableLabs made a change
> to their specification. Now, whenever a CCI 0x00 Copy Freely flag is
> present, the cablecard is allowed to lie and report that there are actually
> no CCI flags present. And Cisco has implemented this change in their latest
> firmware (as of version PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101).

There was an (anecdotal) report that this change also impacted
the Comcast X1 platform (perhaps their dlna in-home playback
app?), the firmware was backed out in some cases, and that
1.5.3.1201 firmware has been released to "fix" it (the report, and
the claimed resolution, were in single digit numbers, so there is
a lot of ambiguity and possible mis-information here regarding if
this is really the CCI=None and CGMS flagging issue). Have you
been able to test the 1.5.3.1201 firmware?  (It is possible the
1201 firmware is a MSO specific (i.e. Comcast) fix pack, but
WOW should be able to at least talk with Cisco about it if they
have interest in dealing with future upgrades).  Apparently
Comcast will be rolling it out across the footprint by early
next year.  Individual requests for early access have apparently
been granted.  I have no idea if WOW is easily able to do the
same for you (or whether you would even want it done to you).