[mythtv-users] "phantom" subtitles on DVD

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Nov 24 15:52:29 UTC 2014

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 03:29:38AM -0500, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 9:28 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I have a number of DVDs that claim to have closed captions, but whose
> >> display in MythTV is sporadic at best.  From what you're describing (all
> >> caption text seems to be intact in the .srt file), it sounds like the

    I also have problems with srt captions in 0.27.

    The problems vary by content. My testing has not been with intact DVDs
but with transcoded and ripped DVDs. I have my srt captions as separate
files as that's what is supported by my current production version of myth.

    Some DVD's are fine. Some DVD's quickly get completely out of sync and stay
that way, some manage to be out of sync for awhile and then get back in sync.

    Strangely enough the sync issues seem to go away when I mux the srt files
in an MKV instead of having them separate. Unfortuantely, the srt in an MKV
container is not something that works with my current version of myth (0.23)
and I don't want to remux a lot of files that won't work with what I'm currently
running.

[deletia]

    One particular example of a "bad DVD" is the Alien Nation series.