[mythtv-users] mythbackend causing server to show, significant load at time

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 21:08:20 UTC 2014

Hoi John,

> Sounds to me like possible HD access overload!

> Tot mails,
>    Hika

> So you mean HD as in hard drive I assume.  I have the database on a separate spindle
> than the recordings. I am using two backends and on my main backend I have two
> storage directories on separate spindles but I wonder if it is actually splitting
> my recordings between the different storage directories.  Do you have any hints on
> how I can verify that the problem is an hd access issue?

If your two recording drives have similar free space, recording should
be spread over the two although this is in part dependent on your
settings.
Having your db on a different physical drive makes it less likely to
be a simple overload. So the first step would be to check on the smart
status of your drives to check on imminent failure. If you didn't
change anything around the time the problems started, this is a good
guess. Also the increased load could point to multiple tries to save
or retrieve data to/from one of the drives. The above or a damaged
sata cable could be the cause. Over a year ago I had an almost new
drive failing on my raid array. Replacing the slightly nicked looking
cable solved it and it has been running smoothly ever since.
Secondly if you have enough memory you could try tuning your db to
minimize the actual drive access count. In the list archive there are
some tips on that account.
Third if you have multiple drives on one controller it could be a sata
bus saturation or even a main bus saturation. I have two controllers
for my five drives and would consider adding a second sata3 controller
if I add more drives.  Not only HD access goes through the main bus
but also the recordings coming from your cards and your network data.
So an important question is if there are other then mythtv related
processes running on the machine. But again this could be caused by
imminent drive failure.

Lastly have you in the last year ever cleaned your machine of
accumulated dust? You should at least do that ones a year. It can not
only cause bad cooling but also bad contacts.

I don't have the tools to use to check at hand. I luckily never have
had to diagnose such a problem myself.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven