[mythtv-users] Record one hour of a show everyday?

Mike Holden mythtv at mikeholden.org
Sun Nov 16 21:43:24 UTC 2014

Mike Rice wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 5:32 PM, Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 08:49:19 -0800, you wrote:
>>
>> >Any ideas how to get a single rule to record these programs?
>>
>> It looks like you would need to use two power rules ("Custom
>> record"),
>> one for M-F, and a different one for Sat and Sun.  The first rule
>>

> Thanks, but I was looking for a way to do it with a single rule.
> With
> different titles/programids on the weekends and multiple rules I
> suspect it
> would keep the recording for a week before deleting it.  I really
> want only
> one of these around.  My current single power rules gets them all
> but
> records too much some days but that's not a big deal.  I was just
> hoping to
> optimize a bit.
>
> I guess if I was really ambitious I could try to insert an override
> rule
> automatically on certain days.  Not really worth it in this case
> since
> there isn't much contention for tuners at 6am.

If the programs are all the same length, then you could use the end
time adjustment. This is usually used to add some extra recording
time, but can also be set to a "negative extra time". So if the
program is 2 hours long and you want to record only the first hour
every time, then set the "end offset" to "end 60 minutes early" (or
say 55 minutes to add a bit of wriggle room).

If the programs are different lengths on different days though, then
this isn't going to work.

Personally, for the sake of a short time period, and plenty of disk,
I wouldn't worry about it since it's only going to be around for a
day anyway. YMMV of course!
--
Mike Holden