[mythtv-users] camping/ rvining

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Nov 12 07:10:35 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 7:48 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
wrote:

> On 11/10/2014 1:29 PM, jacek burghardt wrote:
>
>> I was reading a forum on rv and I wonder if any one user on this forum
>> had been rving or camping with mythtv. I recently gotten great deal on
>> chromebook and I installed arch linux on it and I can get sd card or usb or
>> external drive or epend storage to 128gb. I wonder if there is a way
>> synchronize show/ database so I can watch tv when there is no wifi and my
>> verizon hot spot does not get signal. It would be nice to have downloading
>> functionality of newest shows. I think plex has sync option.
>>

> This has been discussed in the past, having an "offline" frontend mode,
> and using the mxml file to store all the necessary show metadata for the
> frontend to display and use, but as with many things, discussion and
> implementation have not yet met.

I think this is unnecessary.

First of all.. if your traveling, odds are your not taking your tuners with
you, and even if you did, you would have to change lineups etc.  So safe to
assume that your not going to be recording in offline mode.

Take the recording capability away from mythtv, and now you have a decent
media player, but there are tons of those.... even some exceptional ones.

I would say the best bet is to either mythlink the recordings out and rsync
the stuff you want to a mobile system and run XBMC or something.  Or use
Plex.

I can see no real advantage to an offline frontend over any other media
player.