[mythtv-users] camping/ rvining

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Nov 11 04:35:26 UTC 2014

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 13:48:16 +1100, you wrote:

>On 11/11/14 07:29, jacek burghardt wrote:
>> I was reading a forum on rv and I wonder if any one user on this forum had
>> been rving or camping with mythtv. I recently gotten great deal on
>> chromebook and I installed arch linux on it and I can get sd card or usb
>> or external drive or epend storage to 128gb. I wonder if there is a way
>> synchronize show/ database so I can watch tv when there is no wifi and my
>> verizon hot spot does not get signal. It would be nice to have downloading
>> functionality of newest shows. I think plex has sync option.
>>

>> I am giving away couple of udp lines on verizon
>
>I'm not sure about the space restriction, but you could easily write a
>script to dump your database, rsync it across, then restore the database on
>the remote machine.   Maybe you could only rsync the last N days worth of
>recording files.
>
>I typically just take a bunch of offline-content on the HDD of my aging laptop.
>(I can only stare into the fire for so long)
>
>cheers,
>-kt

I have a full Mythbuntu system on my laptop, with two external drives
on eSATA and/or USB 3.0 drive mounts.  I mount the external drives on
my main MythTV box and use Mythexport to copy across the recordings I
want to take with me.  The laptop has three USB DVB-T tuners I can use
whenever there is a good enough TV signal.  One of those tuners has a
full Hauppauge IR remote on it.  When I have watched a recording, if I
have a good enough internet connection, I log in to my home network
using OpenVPN and use VNC to connect to the desktop on my MythTV box
so I can delete the watched recordings.  If I do not have a good
internet connection, then I just make a note on my iPad to delete the
recording when I get home.

The downside of this setup is that the external drive mounts need
mains power.  I do have a limited amount of internal hard disk on the
laptop that I can use for recordings too, if mains is not available,
but I have not ever needed to do that yet.  I would use Mythexport
across my network to export recordings to the laptop hard drive, with
the laptop plugged into ethernet for best speed.