[mythtv-users] Firewire can record channels that Homerun Prime Cannot

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 5 17:26:41 UTC 2014

On 11/02/2014 01:44 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 11:01 PM, Peter Bennett (cats22)
> <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> If the cgms flag on a channel can change from minute to minute, I can
>> never know if something will actually record. I removed USA network and
>> FX from the homerun prime source to prevent recordings, but some shows
>> on those networks may actually be unprotected, I have no way of knowing.
> I can understand your frustration.  You are correct
> that the local franchise is not likely to be able to help.
> If I lived in a Cisco based franchise with this problem
> I would spend the (likely) many dozens of hours to get
> Comcast corporate to either fix it (because of past
> statements that the corporate standard is CCI=none,
> and this may just be the same as what WOW has
> stated, that it was an unintentional side effect of other
> firmware improvements which were appropriate and
> necessary for other platforms), or to state that this
> is their way forward (i.e. CGMS protection is the plan,
> impacting those using OCUR receivers and software
> that does not implement protected path; I would not
> like that answer, but at least I could plan accordingly).
> However, I have no standing (I do not live in such a
> franchise).
>
> So you are going to have to decide if that effort is
> worth it to you, realizing that it is entirely possible
> that you end up right back where you started (no
> clear path forward).  Note that if you do not enjoy
> reading SCTE and CableLabs specifications (including
> the revision that allowed this option, and the Cisco
> configuration utilities for CableCARD mgmt that
> could allow them to override the various features),
> instead of counting sheep, you may need to add in
> another few dozen hours, since you and the Comcast
> people may start by talking different languages (unless
> you get lucky, and end up talking to just the right
> person).
>
> It is possible that while WOW is not Comcast, Ron
> can give you some magic words that Comcast might
> know (perhaps the DNCS service group settings).
>
> I know that in the past that some have reported that
> the Comcast forums have corporate people assigned
> to monitor and refer complex questions to the right
> staff (it was reported to work better than the 3rd
> party dslreports forums).  It might be worth an attempt.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Gary

I posted the problem in the  Comcast forum explaining that I am using
mythtv and I am no longer able to record USA network and FX because of
the CGMS flags. I have received a response from Comcast as follows:

"Apologies for the issue that you described above. I have asked that our
New England team review your account and our local settings to see what
this issue could be. Thanks for your patience. "

So maybe there is hope. At least they seem to be acknowledging that I
should be able to record those channels.

Peter