[mythtv-users] MythTV needs to listen on 2 ports

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 02:23:57 UTC 2014

Hoi Stephen,

Saturday, November 1, 2014, 2:46:53 AM, you wrote:

> On 10/31/14 8:50 PM, Joseph Fry wrote:
>

> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 8:11 PM,             Raymond Wagner
> <raymond at wagnerrp.com>             wrote:
>

> On 10/31/2014 1:03 PM, John Moore (Compucom                     Systems Inc) wrote:
>

> I                       am just totally taken by surprise that
> MythTV                       cannot listen to more than 1 Network.
>

> On 10/31/2014 9:14 AM, John Moore (Compucom                     Systems Inc) wrote:
>

> The                       problem is a need to keep the networks
> isolated                       which means more hardware to
> accommodate a                       dedicated network.
>
>    I still don't understand this specific                 scenario.
> What's the difference between MythTV sitting                 on two
> different networks and listening on both, versus
> MythTV sitting on one network, and having a routing
> process shovel packets from a second network at it?  If
> MythTV has access to both networks, those networks                 cannot be considered isolated.
>

> Raymond,
>

> He and I chatted offline, and I can't really wrap my
> mind around his approach to networking.  He has some
> really weird notion that it's better to put each VLAN on a
> separate switch.  He says he can't add another VLAN until
> he spends $500 for another layer 3 switch because he
> doesn't like the idea of having a mix of vlans assigned to
> ports on the same switch... even though that's the whole
> reason that layer 3 switches were created in the first               place.
>
>                Anyway... I don't think he wanted help, just wanted
> to               understand why Mythtv only listens on a single IP.
>

>      I can't wrap my mind around it either, as enterprise switches
> handle     all manner of VLANs on the switch.
>      I run multiple VLAN environments off of my old Cisco Catalyst
> 4000     with no problem. I did the same at multiple enterprise
> environments,     even off of multiple Catalyst 6509's.
>      There is a reason that the supervisor module is as "smart" as
> it is,     it's so that you can route between each VLAN as needed.
>      I wonder if he's using VLAN 1...

There is no use in here in trying to understand. People are as they
are and luckily computers are easier to understand.
We try to offer assistance and ideas but what people do with it is
wholly up to them selfs.
Home networks are often setup far more complex than strictly needed.
It is our learning, testing and playing ground. And if you have set
out to do it one way, because you want to learn how to do that, ...
;)

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven