[mythtv-users] Modern ION replacement?

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu May 15 22:23:08 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-05-15 at 15:43 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/15/2014 03:26 PM, John Morris wrote:
> > Better to let
> > the TV evenly scale 720p60 3X to 2160p vs 1.5x to 1080p and then 2x in
> > the TV.
>
> That's only presuming the TV's built-in scaler (and video
> processor/processing chain) is a) capable (without glitches and
> occasional frame drops--which most "bleeding edge" TVs tend to exhibit
> until processing the new, bigger, better video content is so simple that
> TV manufacturers can buy dirt-cheap processors that can keep up) and b)
> better than what MythTV can do.

Which was why I added the 'when they get mass deployment' part, but I do
suspect it is also true that if you drop the coin for a top of the line
Sony 4K set now that it probably does a pretty good job of upscaling...
seeing as there is pretty much zero actual 4K content to use on the
things it certainly had better do a good job.  Where things will get
dicey is when 4K sets first plunge into prices where mortals can think
about buying one, that will be when corners will be cut.

Remember that 99% of the TV buying public is not using MythTV so sets
are built for, and their quality judged and reviewed based on their
performance with off the shelf cable boxes and BD players plus over the
air programming.