[mythtv-users] Modern ION replacement?

Preston Crow pc-mythtv13 at crowcastle.net
Thu May 15 20:35:25 UTC 2014

On 05/15/14 15:43, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/15/2014 03:26 PM, John Morris wrote:
>> Better to let
>> the TV evenly scale 720p60 3X to 2160p vs 1.5x to 1080p and then 2x in
>> the TV.
>
> That's only presuming the TV's built-in scaler (and video
> processor/processing chain) is a) capable (without glitches and
> occasional frame drops--which most "bleeding edge" TVs tend to exhibit
> until processing the new, bigger, better video content is so simple
> that TV manufacturers can buy dirt-cheap processors that can keep up)
> and b) better than what MythTV can do.
>
> Now, I'll give you that the approach would be adequate if the TV's
> video processing is adequate, but it's only better if the TV (and,
> would that mean every TV used by every MythTV user?) is better.

Myth already supports this.

I have a CRT HDTV.  It's 1080i native, but it cuts off a bit of the
picture due to overscan.  The menus looked bad in 1080i, so it runs in
720p for the menus, but with a magic modeline to run at 1152x672 inside
a 720p signal.  1080i recordings play at 1080i, and it seems to get the
frame sync correct, as it all looks good (with nVidia drivers).