[mythtv-users] Intermittent grey preview, recording won't play

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Tue Mar 25 19:15:42 UTC 2014

Myth 0.27.0+fixes20131218

I have an intermittent problem. Occasionally, a recording will complete,
but in both Mythweb and the front end, the preview shows as a grey
rectangle. Trying to play the recording hangs at the "Please wait..."
screen.

As an example, I have two recordings of different episodes of a children's
program. Both were recorded from the same channel; one has this problem
and one doesn't. The preview is generated for both; the Linux 'file'
utility says this about them:

Grey one: PNG image data, 320 x 240, 8-bit/color RGB, non-interlaced
OK one:   PNG image data, 320 x 180, 8-bit/color RGB, non-interlaced

The grey one really is grey: I've displayed the .png file.

When trying to play the failed recording, mythfrontend.log reports
(amongst other things):

Mar 25 19:09:33 mythfe  mythfrontend[4456]: E CoreContext
mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1553 (CreateDevice) VDPAU: Error at
mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1553 (#1, Unknown)

Mar 25 19:09:33 mythfe
mythfrontend[4456]: E CoreContext mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1557 (CreateDevice)
VDPAU: Failed to create VDPAU device. Mar 25 19:09:33 mythfe
mythfrontend[4456]: E CoreContext mythrender_vdpau.cpp:399 (Create) VDPAU:
No VDPAU device

Mar 25 19:09:33 mythfe  mythfrontend[4456]: E CoreContext
mythrender_vdpau.cpp:415 (Create) VDPAU: Failed to create VDPAU render
device. Mar 25 19:09:33 mythfe  mythfrontend[4456]: E CoreContext
videoout_vdpau.cpp:150 (InitRender) VidOutVDPAU: Failed to initialise VDPAU

This makes sense to some extent: there is no VDPAU capable graphics
installed (it's an Intel graphics controller), but neither is Myth set to
use a VDPAU renderer (unless I'm looking in the wrong place).

Can anyone shed any light, or make any suggestions?

Thanks,
Keith
--
Blog: http://goo.gl/iOwv1w

"You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone
who will never be able to repay you."