[mythtv-users] So confused. Firewire to STB - channel change script - mythchanger

Philip Isaacs showcasefloyd at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 01:05:25 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 7:40 PM, Philip Isaacs <showcasefloyd at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > ...  which I assumed was a Scientific Atlanta
> > since that's also the type of cable card it has, but someone else told
> me it
> > was actually Cisco.
>
> Cisco bought Scientific Atlanta eight (or so) years ago, but the
> SA brand lives on in some equipment and/or markets.
>
> > Anyhow, my next step is really just to see if I can get
> > it to show me Live TV, so far it's not working.
>
> Depending on your specifics, LiveTV can be problematic
> with any tuner.  JYA has done some great recent work,
> but you are probably not running the devel branch, so
> any failure in LiveTV may have nothing to do with the
> firewire tuner, but with LiveTV itself.
>
> Test with (normal) recordings.  And check your BE
> logs.
>
> > Any ideas on where I might look?
>
> Personally, with all the ways firewire can be problematic,
> I would first insure I performed all of the steps regarding
> setup/testings that I recall are documented on the MythTV
> wiki, and I would take MythTV out of the mix completely
> until I was sure I could capture a transport stream directly.
> The wiki documents the test-mpeg2 and firewire_tester
> programs.

Good advice Gary. The test-mpeg2 works nicely but I haven't run the
firewire_tester script just yet (maybe tonight after dinner). Basically the
stb-command script and test-mpeg2 work with no problems.

I'll post my results if I find anything of use.

Floyd