[mythtv-users] Odd response to forward

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Mon Mar 24 00:36:55 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:
> Last night we watched something I had recorded with my old ReplayTV before I
> had Myth running. I used the ReplayTV download function to transfer the .mp4
> (and several other .mp4 files) to my desktop machine. The, when Myth was
> running, I copied those files to the Myth machine, and moved them to
> /var/lib/mythtv/videos. Then I used the function (don't remember the name,
> or where it is) to have Myth discover those videos.
>
> The movie included some commercial breaks. When we got to them I used the
> jump ahead function (right arrow on the remote) a few times to get to the
> next part of the movie. The odd thing was that the first time I hit the
> right arrow, instead of jumping forward, it jumped back. Further
> applications of the right arrow did jump forward. That sequence was repeated
> for each commercial break. Otherwise, the movie played correctly.
>
> Any idea what was going on there? I haven't had that problem with any videos
> recorded by Myth, nor with the other imported videos that were recorded on
> my ReplayTV.
>
> Possibly unrelated: When we finished watching that movie I tried to delete
> it. Myth said it could not. This afternoon I was noodling around and noticed
> that I was the owner of that file. Once I changed the ownership of that file
> and the associated .png file to mythtv, Myth was able to delete the video. I
> went back and looked in /var/lib/mythtv/videos and, sure enough, the video
> file was gone, however the png file was still there.
>
> Also possibly unrelated, somehow the .mp4 file had an extra dot in front of
> the .mp4, so movie..mp4. I know that's no problem for Linux to deal with,
> but is that why Myth didn't delete the .png file, which has only one dot?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

Note: I've seen this before but never bothered to investigate it that
much. Below is just an educated guess as to what is happening.

Sounds like a time sync issue (IIRC, from a damaged or non-indexed
video). I'd bet that if you ran a stopwatch while watching it, they
wouldn't be in sync after a few minutes. Basically, you've watched 10
minutes of show, but the time bar reports you are at a different time
(for instance, the 8 minute mark). So when you were skipping forward,
you hit the 30 second skip button, mythtv says ok, he's at 8 minutes,
skip to 8:30. At that point, it skips to the actual 8 minute 30 second
mark of the video (the part you already watched). So it was always
skipping forward according to mythtv, it just didn't really know where
you were.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos