[mythtv-users] Recommendations - WinTV-DCR-2650 vs HD Homerun Prime

Philip Isaacs showcasefloyd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 13:56:20 UTC 2014

Thanks Raymond.

Opps I fogot to mention. I already have a WINTV HVR 1600 which has a ATSC
tuner built into it. That's what I want the Antenna for. So it sounds like
any antenna will do.

As far as the DCR-2650 vs the Homerun Prime. Any thoughts on these two? Do
you use either one of
them yourself?

Floyd

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

> On 3/14/2014 9:24 AM, Philip Isaacs wrote:
>
>> So I'm a Comcast / Xfinity subscriber living in New Haven, CT and I've
>> decided to build a new HTPC using Mythbuntu. After doing some research I've
>> learned that to actually use the Digital Channels I'm paying for in my Myth
>> box I'll need a CaptureCard tuner.
>>
>> So I'm curious what do you guys recommend?
>>
>> And will I be able to connect my TV directly to either of these two
>> devices or will I still need my cable box to that.
>>

> No.  You connect your TV to a video card.  Assuming you actually mean "can
> I connect my cable infeed to either of these two devices", yes.  You plug
> them directly into the cable line, and not through any additional device.
>  You _may_ need a tuning adapter if your local franchise uses SDV, which
> would also connect to the cable line in parallel, in which case you would
> want to use the Prime as it can interface with the tuning adapter directly.
>

>  I live in the second floor of a large family house and I want to also get
>> a ATSC Antenna to see if I can capture OTA channels with it. (Hoping to one
>> day soon dump Comcast)
>>
>> Is there a recommendation? I'm looking at this one on Amazon right now.
>>

> On the antenna, no, but note that neither the DCR-2650 nor the HDHomeRun
> Prime can tune ATSC channels.  They are to be used for digital cable only.
>  You will need a separate ATSC tuner.

because I can split the atom with a microphone