[mythtv-users] Recommendations - WinTV-DCR-2650 vs HD Homerun Prime

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Mar 14 13:52:00 UTC 2014

On 3/14/2014 9:24 AM, Philip Isaacs wrote:
> So I'm a Comcast / Xfinity subscriber living in New Haven, CT and I've
> decided to build a new HTPC using Mythbuntu. After doing some research
> I've learned that to actually use the Digital Channels I'm paying for
> in my Myth box I'll need a CaptureCard tuner.
>
> So I'm curious what do you guys recommend?
>
> And will I be able to connect my TV directly to either of these two
> devices or will I still need my cable box to that.

No.  You connect your TV to a video card.  Assuming you actually mean
"can I connect my cable infeed to either of these two devices", yes.
You plug them directly into the cable line, and not through any
additional device.  You _may_ need a tuning adapter if your local
franchise uses SDV, which would also connect to the cable line in
parallel, in which case you would want to use the Prime as it can
interface with the tuning adapter directly.

> I live in the second floor of a large family house and I want to also
> get a ATSC Antenna to see if I can capture OTA channels with it.
> (Hoping to one day soon dump Comcast)
>
> Is there a recommendation? I'm looking at this one on Amazon right now.

On the antenna, no, but note that neither the DCR-2650 nor the HDHomeRun
Prime can tune ATSC channels.  They are to be used for digital cable
only.  You will need a separate ATSC tuner.