[mythtv-users] MythTV unaware of recordings' actual audio properties

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Mar 10 16:58:49 UTC 2014

On 10/03/14 13:15, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 3/10/14, 9:08 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 03/10/2014 08:32 AM, Will Dormann wrote:
>>> Based on this, one might conclude that mythtv might not be getting the
>>> audio properties from the recordings themselves, but some other place?
>>> If so, where?
>>
>> Your listings provider.  This is why/how you also see them provided on
>> listings for shows in the future/shows you don't record.
>

> Ok, I had suspected that.   Thanks for the confirmation.   It would seem
> that for shows that are actually recorded, the actual audio properties
> should override what's provided by the EPG.
>
> For example, if I have my recording device configured to record audio
> using the analog stereo connectors, then my recording is in stereo.
> When I'm looking at the list of my recordings, I'd like to know how they
> were recorded.  I don't necessarily care about how the show was
> broadcast.   Right?

Be aware that audio formats, like video, can change from time to time /during/ a
recording. If you have pre-roll, you may catch a different format before your
intended program begins. Advert breaks will almost certainly change the
video/audio formats again (and back, when the program restarts). Which one do
you select to put in the database? How do you know it refers to the program content?

--

Mike Perkins