[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime questions

Phil Staub pestaub at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 03:14:59 UTC 2014

On 3/7/2014 5:53 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Phil Staub <phil at staub.us
> <mailto:phil at staub.us>> wrote:
> I'm having the same problem. I had a mostly working setup but called
> because I was not getting one channel I was supposed to be. The tech
> totally borked my setup and then none of my channels worked. I've since
> spent about 4 hours on the phone with comcast and it's back to working
> just how you describe. Having to kill mythfrontend every time is getting
> to be a REAL PITA.

For the moment, I have removed the offending channels from my 
SchedulesDirect lineup. After wiping all the channels and 
re-downloading, those channels no longer show up, so I don't get the 
lockups. But your pointer below has added what may be some important new 

>  From what I understand from this:
> http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=16869&sid=268d6a223176b8182d82d6aafc29f233

Hmm. This is a very interesting thread. The links in it pointed out a 
number of perhaps relevant points:

1. The channels mentioned are largely the same ones that I'm seeing 
problems with.

2. The CableCard implicated is Cisco (like mine).

3. In almost all of my failing cases, the CCI Protection is 'none' and 
it is the CGMS Protection that is showing protected-copyonce. The links 
indicated that this seems to indicate that CCI flags are missing, so the 
card falls back on the CGMS flags, and that CCI would normally be 
present (and would mask CGMS flags).

4. The problem ended up being firmware-related. An older version had 
this issue with TiVo boxes, the replacement firmware (version 1101, 
built June 6, 2013) fixed TiVo but broke HDHomerun Prime, and suggested 
that there is a later, fixed version being tested and updated. It turns 
out that MY firmware is MUCH older: version 0601, built June 19 2012. 
I'll bet my firmware is in need of an update.

(The biggest difference in the scenario described in your links is that 
the thread discusses the problem on Comcast; my carrier is Cox. That may 
or may not be relevant.)

> Your case is authenticated but not activated and it's going into some
> sort of fallback mode where some channels work. I tried to explain to
> Comcast's ADVANCED tech support that my card isn't activated/validated
> but got nowhere. They're sending out a tech (at no charge if the problem
> is on their end, haha) but I don't know what they are PHYSICALLY going
> to do.

I don't think my problem is the activated/validated case; My card 
authentication/validation status is reported as 'success' to both on the 
CableCard status page.

At this point, I think I'm going to try the QuickTV suggestion mentioned 
in one of the links. I'll check out all the offending channels. If the 
problem shows up there, I'll see if I can locate someone at Cox to 
figure out how to get the firmware updated.

Thanks again for the pointers.

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list