[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime questions

Phil Staub pestaub at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 22:52:49 UTC 2014

On 3/7/2014 1:46 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 11:04 PM, Phil Staub <phil at staub.us> wrote:
>> After going through the setup process, I end up with a MythTV system that
>> works fine with some channels, but has various problems with others
>
> Just to be clear, you followed the setup process for the HDHR Prime
> instructions, not the instructions for the regular HDHR.  In
> particular, you did not perform a channel scan, instead choosing to
> "Fetch channels from listing source".  Is that correct?

That is correct.

>> channels that fail to tune and crash with an error message about
>> 'unrecoverable tuner error'.
>
> You may find more detailed error message in log files under /var/log/mythtv/

For whatever reason (hints appreciated), /var/log/mythtv does not exist.

>> Most of them tune fine, but I find that on a handful of them (about 2 dozen
>> out of 305 available channels), the tuner will play fine for 2 to 5 seconds
>> and then lock up.
>
> When you scanned using hdhr_config, what did it print for auth= for
> these channels that have problems?

Scanning with hdhomerun_config (i.e., "hdhomerun_config <id> scan
<tuner> <file>" does not report an auth= field. However, browsing to the
tuner status page after attempting to tune one of these channels reports
the authorization as 'subscribed'.

But I believe I *am* narrowing in on the underlying issue: it's the copy
protection flags. I haven't checked all of the offending (i.e., frozen)
channels yet, but on all the ones I checked, CGMS Protection was listed
as 'protected-copyonce'.

I was looking a little further, investigating some channels I was having
other problems with. Specifically, channels that were subscribed but
didn't play at all. In these cases, the CGMS Protection was listed as
'n/a', but CGI Protection was listed as 'protected-copyonce'.

Given the documentation in the Wiki regarding DRM, I suspect I'll just
have to do without those channels. Too bad. Some of those channels were
ones I watch. Would have been a lot better if they were channels I don't
care about.

So I'm getting ready to turn those channels off in my SchedulesDirect
list and see if things are any more stable.

Then, I'll move on to the next set of issues relating to the channels
that I subscribe to, but aren't listed in the tuner scan. I believe that
they are actually in the scan, but they don't get listed in the usual
way. They have a virtual channel of '0', no channel id, and really high
program numbers.

Thanks, Eric.
Phil