[mythtv-users] tuner numbering

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 2 01:35:50 UTC 2014

On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 23:55:26 -0000, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/01/2014 03:15 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> ...
> > Seems OK. I then have one thought left. rename the directories to
>> adapterHP1250 and adapterPC800i. It is theoretically possible that
>> mythtv looks for names starting with adapter.
>> If that doesn't work, I'm out of thoughts for now.
> I believe it's better than theoretical if you also add .../frontend*,
> see:
> https://code.mythtv.org/cgit/mythtv/tree/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/cardutil.cpp#n292
> Looks any /dev/dvb/adapter*/frontend* would be included in the list
> of returned DVB devices. So, /dev/dvb/adapterHP1250/frontend0 would
> work, although I didn't test it.

I can confirm it. Well done Hika and Bill ! This was really bugging me...

When I set my system up, I happened to use "adapter_nova1" etc. for purely  
stylistic reasons and have never had any issues. But when I reproduced  
Daryl's problem I used a dummy adapter called "test". After renaming it to  
"adapter_test" it now shows up in the list and 'sticks'.

I believe it's an issue with the Capture Cards dialog. If you type the  
name in, it gets written to the database and Myth functions correctly but  
thereafter the dialog won't report the card adapter correctly, simply  
defaulting to displaying adapter0 (the symlink is actually using  
adapter2). Any edits (changing multirec, for example), results in a new  
card being created on adapter0, which is already linked to an input. So  
setup now reports 2 cards (test and adapter0) but the frontend only sees 1  
(test), which works fine. Presumably the database has been  

IMHO this naming requirement should be added to the wiki at  
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Device_Filenames_and_udev. Any takers ?
Of course, all the examples do use "adapter*" but it doesn't state  
anywhere that this is essential.

Incidentally I also found that LiveTV only works if there are links  
defined for frontend0, dvr0 and demux0. Not sure what net0 is used for.

So Daryl, for the avoidance of doubt, these are the latest recommendations:

SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", ATTRS{device}=="0x8852", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'K=%k;  
K=$${K#dvb}; printf dvb/adapterHP1250/%%s $${K#*.}; exit 0'", SYMLINK+="%c"

SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", ATTRS{device}=="0x8802", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'K=%k;  
K=$${K#dvb}; printf dvb/adapterPC800i/%%s $${K#*.}; exit 0'", SYMLINK+="%c"
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/attachments/20140302/f8b127f9/attachment.html>

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list