[mythtv-users] bring back recordings

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 22:12:35 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 11:23 PM, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> as appropriate.
>
> However depending on how motivated you are to get the 5 recordings into
> the 'watch recordings' screens then there may be an alternative (as below)
> that while is not supported should be achievable.
>
> Essentially the process is to create a random unwanted recording and then
> replace (some of) the details for that recording with the ones you want and
> link it to your previously recorded file.
>
> Note this is far from perfect but should be achievable.
>
> 1) create an unneeded recording.
> 2) identify the channel id and starttime and file name of the unneeded
> recording by highlighting the recording in 'watch recordings' screen, press
> 'i' then 'i' again.
> 3) using your preferred GUI file manager or terminal window (on the
> backend) delete the file that belongs to the unneeded recording. You may
> need to search through the folders linked to your Recordings storage group
> to find it. Note this step is outside of MythTV, don't delete from within
> MythTV or you will need to start again. If you need help with this step
> just ask, happy to give more detail. Don't delete any needed files! You can
> always check that you are deleting the correct (unwanted) file by first
> playing it in VLC or your preferred media player program.
> 4) again using your preferred GUI file manager or terminal window rename
> the file that you want to restore into MythTV to be that of the file that
> you just deleted. Again if you need help please ask.
> 5) now need to run a command from a terminal window on the backend:
>
> mythcommflag --rebuild --chanid="chanid-of-the-unneeded-recording"
> --starttime="starttime-of-the-unneeded-recording"
>
> So the command will look something like:
> mythcommflag --rebuild --chanid=1001 --starttime=20140730120000
>
> This will 'fix' the seek table to reflect the recording you are restoring
> not the unwanted recording.

> recording (which now links to your "needed" recording, press 'm', select
> 'recording options', 'change recording metadata' and update all the fields
> with the data that would correctly apply to your desired recording.
> 6a) if you want you may be able to find the correct
> title/subtitle/description from mythweb by doing an advanced search for
> your program but setting the timeframe from -2 weeks to +2 weeks (the
> program is now in the past but I think mythweb search defaults to +0 weeks
> to +2 weeks).
> 7) rerun metadata lookup and commercial detection from the jobs menu as
> needed.
>
> As mentioned this is not perfect, most of the stored metadata (inc channel
> it was recorded on and time at which it was recorded and recording rule
> etc) will still reflect the unneeded recording as there are only a few
> fields that can be edited from the 'change recording metadata' screen but
> should be superficially suitable for what I have interpreted as your issue.

Thanks to all contributors, big time to you Mark, great explanation. My box
works very well, but I am my worst enemy. trying to upgrade from 12.04 to
14.04 has been borking things lately. I am mostly a watch and delete kinda
guy, so I probably wont go through the process 5x, but still great to know.
>From what I see in process things I've changed for Myth don't translate
well across the upgrade, so I guess I'll try a slow clean build, since I
have a drive I can play with.
Daryl