[mythtv-users] Anyone using SSD for long term storage?

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Mon Jul 28 18:33:13 UTC 2014

  07/23/2014 10:19 AM, James Bailey wrote:
> All I am stating is there are know issues with WD green drives and Linux
> and linking to a article stating why.

Or phrased differently: there is an easy to use utility that will make
green drives work well with Linux.

To add to the list of useless anecdotal evidence: I have never had a WE
Green drive fail, but had a whole batch of WD RE2 drives (their top of
the line 7200 RPM enterprise drives) die, some within days of each
other.  Ditto a batch of Seagate ES drives.  Bottom line is all brands
and technologies of drives _will_ fail.  If you are worried about drive
failure your best bet is a RAID array using different brands (or at
least batches) of drives to minimize the chance of coincidental failures.

Jeff