[mythtv-users] Anyone using SSD for long term storage?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 16:24:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 2:31 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> ... Possibly because of the increased vibrations.

It is (usually) not the vibrations (all drives have some),
it is the vibration from physically coupled adjacent
disks that tend to be the cause of issues.  There
are a number of good research papers (that use
good statistics :-) on that topic.

*Well designed* chassis provide vibration
isolation(*).  In some cases, the vendor learned
the lesson before FCS, sometimes not until
the next generations (We got some of those that
had not learned that lesson before FCS)

I will note that for those that actually read the
entire backblaze article, they admit that their
newer vibration isolation pods seem to be doing
better.  Looks like their first generation was of
the "how cheap can we buy it for" variety, and
they, too, have learned the lesson.

Mechanical engineering is still important as
long as we continue to spin rust.

Gary

(*) Which also has the side effect of making
things quieter, or tool-less assembly, so you
tend to see rubber/plastic isolators in consumer
desktop systems these days which can
mitigate the physical coupling.