[mythtv-users] Digital switch, HDHR a brick?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 22:37:40 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 10:12 PM, John Marshall
<mythtv at marshallparty.org> wrote:

> Charter's policy, at least according to their site, is that "digital basic" is Copy Freely.

And "Digital basic" tends to be the locals, and CSPAN, and
the franchise mandated government access channels (PEG).

"Expanded Basic" (which is not addressed by formal statament)
would include the CNN's, the TNT's, etc., and may, or may
not, be copy freely.  Charter does not commit one way or
the other.  It appears in your area that they are marked copy
freely, and that is goodness.

> so, as you say, the flags vary between regions

What I did not mention in my previous post was that the reports
somewhat suggest (but again, selection bias) that franchises where
Charter bought the (usually smaller) existing MSO base tended to
keep the settings they had, at least during some transition period.
So, your CCI flags will vary, along with the selling of services by
bundled content, and not value.

> ....One may also try using the STB's
> Firewire output as they are supposed to respect the same CCI policies.

If only that were reliably true.  Regardless of the FCC requirements,
firewire support is broken in so many ways on so many different
boxes (and firmware release; do not forget the firmware release)
that I would never trust firewire results.  The STB diagnostic page
information, yes.  Firewire no.  Since you need the STB anyway
for the firewire test, just use the diagnostics pages.