[mythtv-users] Backend powered off/shutdown unexpectedly!

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Jan 30 09:32:44 UTC 2014

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 21:09:52 -0500, you wrote:

>1) BIOS is/was set to boot on power. Since this has only happened in two+
>yrs twice since we added a drive at Xmas, is there a way that setting could
>have been bumped or switched off on its own? Didn't make any changes to
>BIOS when I added the drive but just covering my bases.

Even when set to boot on power, some PCs do not actually do that in a
real life power failure.  Power failures often have a brownout
beforehand or as the power comes on again, or have the power bouncing
on and off for a second or two.  So the system can become confused and
fail to boot.

What sort of power supply do you have?  I have found that cheap ones
are not worth the trouble they cause.  Cheap power supplies may not be
capable of working for a long time on 24/7 - they can be designed for
just being on for a few hours a day.