[mythtv-users] Backend powered off/shutdown unexpectedly!

Henry Law news at lawshouse.org
Thu Jan 30 10:19:23 UTC 2014

On 30/01/14 02:09, Ian Evans wrote:
> I don't have Wake-on-LAN set, but is it just wake, or can it power on
> the system as well?

Yann Lehmann has pointed you to what I believe is the best guide to WOL
for Ubuntists like you and me.  But be aware that, in my experience,
cards (and built-in network interfaces) behave in one of three ways:

* They don't support WoL at all.  Game over; get a card that does ...
* They support WoL by default without you having to do anything.
* They support WoL but only if you tell them to do so.

In my case (and I have two machines like this) they fit into the third
category, and I /have to enable WoL each time I boot the machine/.  I
have an ethtool line in one of the startup profiles (there are so many I
forget which one) which issues the "ethtool -s eth0 wol g" command.

Occasionally I boot something else (bootable CD usually) and then when I
later reboot into Ubuntu I have to go downstairs and switch the machine
on physically.

--

Henry Law            Manchester, England